Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Makes and Bakes for a little girls third birthday!

This weekend was one big celebration. Our little girl L turned 3! Oh how time does go by so fast. It feels like only yesterday when she was born! 

On Saturday we had her birthday party. Our house filled up with family, friends and lots of children and she enjoyed it all so much! My mom baked her famous apple pie, especially requested by our girl. And I did some baking and made her a birthday cake which was delicious and I totally forgot to take pictures of it ~oops~. It was a delicious recipe and I will absolutely bake it another time (and remember to take pictures). To give you an idea, I will try to describe it for you. I started with a biscuit base, cut it into two slices and I filled it with raspberry jelly and butter cream, a red fondant topping and some whipped cream. Hope you can picture it in your minds eye ~smile~.

After a good night's sleep it was time for some Makes and Bakes! Our girl was celebrating her birthday at daycare on Monday, so something had to be made for that.
L really wanted me to Bake Carrot Cupcakes. I had never made them before so after some online studying, I decided to use a straight forward recipe. It basically was just 240 grams of flour, 240 grams of sugar, 200 ml of sunflower oil, 300 grams of finely grated carrots, 2 tsp of cinnamon, 3 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.

I gave it a "Bakes by Maartje" twist by using self raising flour and leaving out the baking powder. And instead of using regular sugar, I used dark brown sugar. And I must say, they turned out to be delicious! I packed them into lovely boxes from Hema and that was that!

And then it was time to do what this blog is all about. Makes!
This time I made little drawstring bags and filled them with a little cake tin, six small crayons and a matching coloring book.
Our kids are both in the same play group at the daycare, so I asked for a list with all the kids names on them. All in all there are 18 kids (11 girls, 7 boys) including ours, so I decided on making separate bags for the boys and the girls.



I chose two canvas type fabrics and used navy blue Hoooked Zpagetti to make the actual drawstring for the girl's bag and a similar type string in grey for the boys' bags (not the one shown in the pictures above).

I used this tutorial (in Dutch) and adjusted it by first ironing the fabric and creating the tunnel for the string to go through. Then I sewed that part, and used a safety pin to pull the string through. Then I folded the fabric, right sides towards each other and sewed it, turned it out and then I was done!

My girl really liked the little presents and she had a great day today! The kids all loved the carrot cupcakes and I will probably make them again next month, when our baby J will turn 1!



Would love to hear what you think of my Makes and Bakes, so if you can, leave a message.

See you again soon!

Love, Maartje






No comments:

Post a Comment